Dough Zone: Downtown Berkeley's Modern Chinese-Style Noodles and Dumplings
Dough Zone Dumpling House
Every now and again, you stumble across a restaurant so incredible you can’t believe you’re just now finding it. It’s tasty, reasonably priced, and has a pleasant atmosphere, and you like it so much you wish you’d discovered it sooner. For me, Dough Zone was one of those restaurants… it was the type of good food that completely hit the spot, and I would have liked to have known about it months earlier.
Dough Zone is a big, spacious, and modern restaurant with lots of seating and big, inviting windows in the heart of downtown Berkeley. It’s open every day from 11 am until 9 pm and is known for great prices on its doughy noodles, buns, and dumplings. It’s a casual American spin on some well-loved Chinese classics, perfect for families, students, friends, and professionals. The recipes have been optimized for maximum appeal to their diverse fan base here, and they continue to satisfy customers of all types with the simple elegance of their recipes—especially those utilizing their chewy, savory dough for noodles and dumplings. People love to dine here and make use of takeout as well. It’s the kind of food that’s addictive enough that you end up knowing you’ll want more.
The interior is simple but comfortable and attractive; it’s very clean, and the simple black chairs are actually rather nice to sit in. The tables come nicely set with quality chopsticks and spoons, and they look modern and attractive. They are also stocked with soy sauce, chili, and vinegar, which are perfect for accompanying the dumplings.
Ordering is done from a QR code on the table; this is part of the streamlined modern appeal. From your phone, you can browse a menu that features xiao long bao, crispy dumplings, meat pancakes, sandwiches, buns, noodles, and more, all for prices that seem more than fair. Although servings are small enough that you might want more than one at a time, the prices on individual items don’t top $15, and many average around $10. Choosing from the tasty options that include appetizing pictures can be fun. It’s hard not to get carried away, but the website helps you keep track of expenses and what you’ve ordered. It’s a great place to come with others and order a spread of different items to share. The service is respectably quick; the food comes soon after you order it without the need to interact much with a server.
I tried the pork xiao long bao soup dumplings ($10.50), which arrived looking traditional in an old-fashioned Chinese bamboo steamer in a set of eight. Biting in, I loved the thick, chewy exterior. It paired well with the soupy, savory interior filled with soft, minced meat that was dripping with broth. I enjoyed dipping them in the soy sauce and black vinegar in my little bowl, which also appeared to have a bit of ginger that my server brought immediately after I took my seat. Each morsel was hearty, warm, and satisfying.
I also tried the crispy chicken potstickers ($8.25), which came in a set of eight as well, with a lacy crust holding them together. They were thoroughly delightful, packing a savory punch of pan-fried flavor. The bottom was crunchy and attached to the lacy fried skirt holding the dumplings together, but the salty and well-seasoned meat on the inside was warm, soft, and juicy, encased by a soft dough. If you only want one thing here, I might opt for some of these. They’re yummy and exciting to eat.
I also got the green onion soy sauce noodles ($7.90), which came in a medium bowl that wasn’t too big, and I fell in love with the chewy texture of the thin noodles. They were warm and had a light and refreshing feel, and I had no trouble inhaling them. I was intrigued by their springy nature, and the sweet soy glaze was thicker at the very bottom but present in every bite. The summery freshness of the green onion soy sauce noodles made every bite worth my while. The green onion added a bright accent to a warm and complex dish. It went very well with my dumplings and would probably go well with anything.
All in all, I spent a considerable amount of time in this restaurant savoring my meal, enjoying every flavorful bite and all the contrasting textures. As advertised, their dough products were incredible. I also had to appreciate the laid-back attitude of the staff and the pleasant environment that included upbeat music and lots of privacy; the servers didn’t linger, and the tables gave me plenty of space. When the bill came, I had to admit I’d enjoyed every bite and wanted to come back.







Just tried it! As good as described
ReplyDelete