Party Sushi: Simply adorable Japanese cuisine/sushi in downtown Berkeley

 


 

As you may know, I’m the kind of person who likes good, inexpensive Japanese food. I’ve had a lifelong love of sushi, and living in the Bay, I’ve come to appreciate the many restaurants that approach serving Japanese food with a little bit of authenticity and a little twist of their own, making food that tastes great but doesn’t cost a fortune. Party Sushi is certainly one such restaurant.


Party Sushi offers in-restaurant dining, takeout, and catering.  It’s a small restaurant with a cute, cozy feel, but a menu that’s anything but small—we had no trouble finding all our Japanese favorites and more, with many interesting and unique options, including their awesome specialty rolls. They keep costs down and customer satisfaction high, all while making do with limited space in their rather intimate dining room.


The sushi chef stands in a corner behind the counter, carefully (even lovingly) preparing each order. I find the staff here to be genuinely friendly and welcoming, which only adds to the cuteness and general appeal of this small restaurant. It’s a simple and elegant business model that relies mostly on the broad appeal of their product and word of mouth.  Expect to be treated with respect and served food that is not only yummy but also visually attractive. In our case, they were very honest and careful to tell the truth about allergens and cross-contamination.


It’s not all about speed and efficiency here, although wait times do not tend to be that long. The little touches (like the thinly chopped green onion garnishes that add flavor to some of the rolls) matter. Everything has their signature soft and easy-to-eat texture; it’s made to be simple yet pleasing every time. The contrasting sweet, savory, umami, and  spicy flavors are all mild and soothing without being bland and boring. They have classic rolls (many improved with those completely satisfying thinly chopped small green onions) and traditional dishes, but they also have original fish combinations and make classic Japanese entrees with their own spin and style. It’s still recognizably Japanese cuisine, but they do it their own way with a special emphasis on their own blend of flavors.

 
They make simple, streamlined Japanese cuisine here. From the cherry blossom to the negitoro to the hamanegi, the rolls come out looking and tasting great. And the appetizer selection is wonderful! From crunchy fried gyoza to fresh edamame, you won’t regret ordering a little something for the table to start off your meal. Don’t forget to finish your meal with their mochi ice cream! It’s another delightfully simple but so delicious menu item that will top off the meal perfectly.

 
I’m so glad I finally tried this place. I really enjoyed eating here because it was so cute and homey. Meanwhile, the food really hit the spot; I found it simple yet masterful in its style. It’s got a long menu full of good food options for fair prices, and it’s even conveniently located in downtown Berkeley. What more could I ask?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Noodle: Downtown Berkeley's small, fast, and casual take on yummy Thai food

Gusto: Berkeley's HOT new Algerian restaurant!

Ike's Love and Sandwiches: A well-loved chain in the Bay Area that produces custom sub sandwiches to order!